The Declaration of principles governing the treatment of victims of crime applies to all South Australian public agencies and officials.

If you feel that you have not been treated appropriately or wish to make suggestions on how to improve the way victims are treated, your comments are welcome. Please direct your comments or suggestions as explained below.

As a victim of crime, you are entitled to complain if you believe that your rights have not been met and/or that you have been treated inappropriately.  If you feel that your rights have not been recognised or have been given inadequate recognition there are a number of things you can do. These are explained below.


 Police officers l Public prosecutors   l  Judges   l  Magistrates  l  The Ombudsman   l  The Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner  l  Commissioner for Victims' Rights  l  Equal Opportunity Commisioner  l Office of the Employee Ombudsman  l  The Office of the Training Advocate  

Police officers  

You should contact the Victim Contact Officer or a supervising officer at your local police station. Telephone your local police station (see the White Pages).

If you are not satisfied with the response that you receive or you have more than a minor grievance you should contact either:

      • The Commissioner of Police, GPO Box 1539, Adelaide SA 5001; or
      • The Police Complaints Authority, GPO Box 464, Adelaide SA 5001. Phone 8226 8677.

Your opinion is important to the South Australia Police. As part of the South Australia Poilice service excellence process you are invited to provide general feedback by visiting the South Australia Police website

Public prosecutors  

You should write to the Director of Public Prosecutions, GPO Box 464 Adelaide SA 5001.

[ back to top ] 


Supreme Court of South Australia: you should write to the Honourable Chief Justice, 301 King William StreetAdelaide SA 5000

District Court of South Australia: should write to His Honour the Chief Judge, GPO Box 2465 Adelaide SA 5001

[ back to top ] 


Magistrates Courts in South Australia: you should write to the Chief Magistrate, PO Box 6115 Halifax Street Adelaide SA 5000.

[ back to top ] 

The Ombudsman   

The Ombudsman is an independent officer who can:

      • investigate most complaints made about government departments and authorities, and local government councils
      • review decisions made about the supply of public information under the Freedom of Information Act
      • receive information confidentially from a person who wishes to inform about possible improper or illegal actions in State or local government.

The Ombudsman doesn't have power to investigate complaints about judges, magistrates, prosecutors, the police or the Police Complaints Authority.

You can contact Ombudsman SA by phone on 08 8226 8699 (or toll free 1800 182 150), by email to, or by writing to PO Box 3651 Rundle Mall SA 5000.

[ back to top ] 

The Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner

      • helps people – service users, carers and service providers – resolve complaints about health and community services, including child protection services, when a direct approach to the service provider is either unreasonable, or has not succeeded
      • covers health and community services across the public, private and non-government sectors
      • handles complaints confidentially and impartially monitors and reports complaint trends
      • makes recommendations to improve safety and quality
      • is an independent statutory officer
      • operates a telephone enquiry service Monday to Thursday 10am to 4.00pm, phone 08 8226 8666 or toll free in regional South Australia 1800 232 007, fax 08 8266 8620

[ back to top ] 

Commissioner for Victims' Rights

The Commissioner is an independent statutory officer who helps victims in their dealings with the criminal justice system, public officials and public agencies; as well as, consults public officials and public agencies on their treatment of victims. The Commissioner can recommend public officials and public agencies make a written apology if they have not treated victims properly and in accordance with the Declaration of principles governing treatment of victims of crime.

The Commissioner can enquire into the way you have been treated for the purpose of determining if there has been a  breach of the Declaration of principles governing treatment of victims of crime, <em>Victims of Crime Act 2001</em>.</p><p>If you wish to lodge a complaint with the Commissioner please complete the online complaints form. 

If you wish to lodge a complaint please complete the Complaint Form. 

If you are not able to complete this form please contact the Commissioner for Victims' Rights

Phone 8204 9635



[ back to top ] 

Equal Opportunity Commissioner   

The Equal Opportunity Commissioner

      • helps people resolve complaints about discrimination in public areas of life, such as employment, goods and services, education, housing and clubs/associations
      • takes up complaints for discrimination on the grounds of race, age, sex, sexuality, caring responsibilities, disability, martial status, identity of spouse etc and victimsation for making a complaint
      • handles whistleblowing complaints
      • provides education and training to the community on discrimination issues
      • handles complaints confidentially and impartially
      • is an independent statutory officer
      • operates a telephone and face-to-face enquiry service
      • phone - 08 8207 1977, 1800 188 163 (toll free for regional SA) or 8201 1911 (for deaf, hearing and speech impaired)
      • Level 17, 45 Pirie Street , Adelaide

[ back to top ] 

Office of the Employee Ombudsman   

The Office of the Employee Ombudsman provides South Australians with intervention and support on workplace issues.  The office promotes fair and equitable workplace relations through community liason, research and active promotion of  alternative dispute resolution practices.

Please contact us on 8207 1970 or email to

[ back to top ] 

The Office of the Training Advocate   

The Training Advocate helps people with questions or concerns about vocational education and training, apprenticeships and traineeships, international education, higher education and adult community education. The service is free and confidential. We can assist those who are experiencing difficulties which may be impacting on their study by:

      • providing information, advice and advocacy
      • investigating complaints relating to training
      • monitoring the training system
      • supporting people in accessing services relevant to their circumstances
      • negotiating alternative options to complete training

Phone 1800 006 488

[ back to top ]